Do you really know how much water should we drink in a day? It’s a simple question with no easy answer. 2 litres or 3 litres or more? Are you drinking the right amount according to your body needs and level of activity? What happens if we drink too less water? what happens if we drink too much water? Do other liquids besides water count? Keep calm, because below you will find the answer to all the questions.
It is important to drink water according to our lifestyle. The popular 8 by 8 rule which says that one should drink 8 glasses of water may not suit every individual. The general belief is to drink 8 to 10 glasses of water, but, it is advisable to drink 12 to 15 glasses of fluids which includes tea, water, juice, buttermilk, soup, etc. This would amount to an intake of around 2.0-2.5 litres of fluids every day. It is important to drink the maximum amount in the morning around two to four glasses of water.
How Much Water to Drink a Day?
Your recommended intake is also based on factors including your sex, age, activity level, and others, such as if you’re pregnant or breastfeeding. This chart shows you how much water should we drink in a day based on some factors-
|Demographic||The daily recommended amount of water (from drinks)|
|children 4–8 years old||5 cups, or 1-1.5 litres|
|children 9–13 years old||7–8 cups, or 1.5-2.0 litres|
|children 14–18 years old||8–11 cups, or 2.0-2.5 litres|
|men, 19 years and older||13 cups, or 3.0 litres|
|women, 19 years and older||9 cups, or 2.0-2.5 litres|
|pregnant women||10 cups, or 2.5 litres|
|breastfeeding women||13 cups, or 3.0 litres|
Guide to Drink Water
- Drink around two to four glasses of water (approximately 750 ml) after waking up.
- During summers, keep yourself hydrated by drinking water at regular intervals. If you are not suffering from blood pressure or diabetes, having glucose or electrolyte water is also advisable.
- If you work in an air-conditioned environment and follow a sedentary lifestyle, do not drink more than 2 to 2.5 litres of water per day.
- For moderate workers, for instance, salespersons, it is important to drink around three litres of water.
Benefits of Drinking Water
Since our body is 60% comprised of water so it is a very essential element. Water plays a vital role in body functioning. You will be glad to know that there are lots of health benefits to drinking water. Some of them are-
- Carrying nutrients and oxygen to your cells
- Preventing constipation
- Flushing bacteria from your bladder
- Cushioning joints
- Helping digestion
- Normalizing blood pressure
- Maintaining electrolyte (sodium) balance
- Maintaining the heartbeat
- Protecting organs and tissues
- Controlling body temperature
Also Read: How to Stop Hiccups?