Hyperthyroidism is a condition in which a thyroid gland produces an excessive number of thyroid hormones called thyroxine. The thyroid is a butterfly shaped small gland present at the front of your neck. Thyroid gland regulates metabolism through the release of tetraiodothyronine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3) hormones. Hyperthyroidism treatment is very important because hyperthyroidism can accelerate your body’s metabolism. Which causes sudden weight loss, sweating, nervousness and irregular heartbeat. When thyroid makes too much tetraiodothyronine, triiodothyronine, or both, it causes Hyperthyroidism. There are also many other causes of this disease but the most common is Graves’ disease.
For Hyperthyroidism Treatment, first you will have to know the causes and symptoms behind it. In this post you will find Hyperthyroidism Causes , Hyperthyroidism Symptoms, Hyperthyroidism Diet and overall Hyperthyroidism Treatment.
Causes of Hyperthyroidism
These are some main causes behind hyperthyroidism which are very important to know-
- Graves Disease (Most common cause)
- Excessive iodine intake (key ingredient in T3 and T4)
- Inflammation of the thyroid gland
- Excessive amount of thyroid hormones taken through dietary supplements or medication
- Tumors of the ovaries
- Tumors of the pituitary gland
- Abnormal secretion of TSH
There are several signs and symptoms which shows the hyperthyroidism. At the early stage of this disease, patients do not experience any symptoms. Signs and symptoms shows when degree of hyperthyroidism increases. These symptoms are mainly related to an increase in the metabolic rate of the body which is called hyper-metabolic state. The most common symptoms of hyperthyroidism are given below and if you feel these symptoms then immediately consult with your doctor.
- Thyroid gland itself swell into a goiter
- Elevated blood pressure
- Increased appetite
- protruding eyes
- Irregular heartbeat and rapid heart rate
- Weight loss
- Excessive sweating
- Irregularity in menstrual cycles of women
- Heat intolerance
- Weakness and fatigue
- Brittle hair and hair loss
- Breast development in men
- Sleep disturbances
- Nausea and vomiting
The doctor first diagnose the disease with help of above given symptoms and then start the treatment of hyperthyroidism. There are four types of options to treat hyperthyroidism which includes –
- Treating the symptoms
- Radioactive iodine
- Surgery treating symptoms
- Anti-thyroid drugs
Treating the Symptoms of Hyperthyroidism
There are medications available to treat the symptoms like rapid heart rate of hyperthyroidism immediately. The main class of drugs used to treat these symptoms is beta-blockers [for example, atenolol (Tenormin), metoprolol
(Lopressor), propranolol (Inderal),]. These medications prevent the effect of thyroxine to increase metabolism. But they do not change the levels of thyroxine in the blood.
Radioactive iodine effectively destroys the cells that produce hormones. According to the American Thyroid Association, it is given to the 75% of US adults who has hyperthyroidism. It is given orally by pill or liquid on a one-time basis to ablate a hyperactive gland. It is important to take precautions for a short time to prevent radiations spread to others after treatment. It may also have some common side effects like dry eyes, sore throat, dry mouth, and changes in taste.
Surgery Treating Symptoms of Hyperthyroidism
Surgery is a common form of hyperthyroidism treatment. It partially removes the thyroid gland and the goal is to remove thyroid tissue that produces thyroid hormones. If parathyroid glands are accidentally removed then it requires calcium replacement therapy because it reduces calcium level. Most of the patients respond good to this treatment.
Anti-thyroid Drugs for Hyperthyroidism Treatment
There are two main anti-thyroid drugs available- propylthiouracil (PTU) and methimazole (Tapazole). These drugs stop the thyroid from making hormones like thyroxine. This is the most common treatment of hyperthyroidism. The big risk of these drugs is occasional suppression of production of white blood cells by the bone marrow.
There are no such particular food as a hyperthyroidism diet, but what you eat matters in hyperthyroidism. Above you saw the treatment of hyperthyroidism, so you can take the diet that reduces the production of thyroid hormones. Below are some food items that helps you to prevent from hyperthyroidism-
- Berries keep your immune system strong, so eat berries everyday. you can eat strawberries, blueberries or raspberries according to your choice.
- Broccoli which is thyroid-suppressing food and decreases the amount of thyroid hormones. You can also take soya products, cauliflower, cabbage, rajmah, bajra etc.
- Salmon is very rich in Vitamin D and Omega-3 fatty acids that keeps you healthy. Vitamin D and omega-3 is very helpful in treating thyroid. If you don’t eat fist, you can take other foods of vitamin D and omega-3.
- Yogurt helps to make your bones strong which was weaken by untreated hyperthyroidism. Take 3 servings a day of calcium from curd, yogurt or other dairy products such as milk, cheese etc.
- Green tea, motherwort, and bugleweed are some herbs that are very helpful in treating hyperthyroidism.
So, in the above given post you saw what is Hyperthyroidism, what are the causes behind it and symptoms of hyperthyroidism. Also you got the knowledge about how to treat this disease and what kind of diet should be taken by patients. Hope you like to read this post. Thank You.