Holi is the festival of colors which is celebrated with great fame in India. Almost all of us love the festival of colors. Holi without colors, water guns, water balloons, etc., is just no fun. Some people like to play holi with dry colors and some people prefer to play holi with water or natural colors. There are also some people who play holi with chemical colors. Sometimes, these colors can be harmful to skin and hairs. Rashes, allergies, spots occur on the skin and hair loss, dry hair is one of the problems which occurs due to these colors. After playing holi, removing color is the biggest problem for all of us. But, now you don’t have to worry, because below you will find, how to remove holi color from face, skin, hair & nails in an easy way.
How to Remove Holi Color from Face
The harmful ingredients that are used in the colors are the biggest culprit during holi. Before playing holi, apply oil (coconut oil, olive oil, or mustard oil) on your face, hairs, arms and rest of the body. This would allow the face and body to be easily washed off. Now, we will see the ways to remove holi colors from the face-
- First wash your face with cold water and try to gently remove the colors by sliding them off as the oil applied beforehand would help in this. Make sure never to use hot water as it will solidify the color.
- Do not scrub the color off with soap. Choose a mild cleanser and follow it up with a lot of moisturizing creams. If you feel any skin irritation during the process of removing the Holi colors, then take two tbsp of calamine powder and mix it with a few drops of honey and rose water to make a paste. Apply this on your face and once it has dried up, wash it off with water and apply a moisturizer.
- If you want to remove oil paint from your face, mustard or coconut oil can be used. Use cotton to apply the oil on your face and rinse it off gently with both hands.
- Apply foundation, and a generous amount of moisturizer on your hands, face and all exposed body parts before going out to play.
- To get rid of itchiness, use a combination of glycerine with rose water on your face and rinse it with lukewarm water.
- Rub sliced lemon over the skin to remove the stains. Lemon is a natural bleaching agent that is useful for getting rid of color stains. Leave it for 15 minutes and apply plenty of moisturizer after that.
- Face pack for oily skin: Make a paste of 1 Tsp Masoor Dal, Dried Orange peel, 1 Tsp rose water and 2-3 Drops lemon juice and apply it to the face. When the pack gets dried, apply some water on your hands and then try to rub off the pack.
- Face pack for dry skin: Make a paste of 1 Tsp almond powder, 1 Tsp honey, 2 Drops lemon juice and Little milk and apply it your face. Let it stay for 20 minutes. Wet your hand with little water and try to rub off the pack from the face. This will make your skin soft and clean.
- Make a paste of besan with milk or yogurt, sweet oil, and rose water and apply it on your skin. After five minutes, rinse your face gently with a delicate soap and water.
- Take some wheat flour and add a bit of oil or lemon. Make a paste and apply this all over your skin, scrubbing off the colors. Do this just before bathing.
- Remember to not wash your face again and again. This will make your face dry. Also, do not rub your skin with any rough and hard thing. This will make your skin itchy. Apply coconut oil with the help of cotton and then try to remove the colors.
Avoid going for skin or hair treatments like facial, bleach, hair color and the like just after holi. Wait for at least a week or two before you use chemicals or products on your skin and hair so that your skin can normally obtain balance.
How to Remove Holi Color from Hair
Removing holi color from hair is as much as difficult to remove holi color from the face. To prevent damaging your hair with chemicals, apply coconut or olive oil 1 hour before playing holi. This forms a protective layer over your hair and makes it easy to remove holi colors. Below are some easy tips to remove colors from hair after playing holi-
- Avoid immediately shampooing your hair after playing Holi. Apply egg yolk or curd on your hair at least 45 minutes before shampoo. This will help remove the colors and reduce the extent of the damage.
- Thoroughly massage your hair with mustard oil before using colors. After playing Holi, once you have shampooed your hair, apply mustard oil on your hair and leave it in for an hour. This will help to remove the remaining color and prevent damage.
- Make a paste using curd and methi seeds powder. Apply this on your hair as a post holi hair mask. This will prevent hair damage and keep your hair nourished.
- For washing the color off your hair, use a mild herbal shampoo or a home-made one. Soak shikakai, reetha and amla or Indian gooseberry overnight, boil and strain it in the morning and you have a very good shampoo ready.
- In case you are having trouble removing color from your hair, take one tablespoon of lemon juice and mix it in a cup of curd. Apply this mixture on your scalp and rinse it. Use herbal shampoo or home-made shampoo mentioned above to wash the mixture off.
- Applying coconut milk on the hair is another great way to ensure less damaged. It also helps remove colors easily. Apply coconut milk on your hair before you play. Also, apply it before shampoo and leave on for an hour. Clean off with a shampoo.
- Before you use a shampoo, rinse your hair with water to allow the additional colors to wash it off. It is extremely vital to condition your hair to prevent any hair damage. Make a simple hair pack by soaking a few fenugreek (methi) seeds in four tbsp of curd. Apply this pack or egg yolk on your scalp and wash your hair with a good shampoo after 30
minutes. You can also apply a mixture of honey and olive oil for deep conditioning.
How to Remove Holi Color from Nails
Remove holi color from nails is also a big issue, Isn’t it? Generally, we forget to get protection for our nails during Holi. And it’s not that easy to clean our nails when the color has dried on it. So, remember to put on dark shade nail paint before you go out to play. The nail paint won’t allow the color to stick to your nails and keep it clean. But still some color sticks on nails, So below are some quick tips so that you can easily clean your nails and get rid of colors.
- No, angry scrubbing will not help you. The more you rub, the deeper the color will seep so stop, take a deep breath and think. The first thing we wash after we are done playing holi is our hands because white nails is a fetish that few can deny. We will say leave your hands for the last because it is with your hands that you will clean the rest of your body.
- Never ever soak your hands in hot water. Hot water makes the color stick to your skin and your nail will not be an exception to this. Use room temperature water or cold water is even better.
- Lemon like always can be your saviour. The citrus elements in lemon help you get rid of the Holi colors that have stuck inside your nails. Lemon is anyway used as one of the best home remedies for white nails.
- Another one of those truly useful remedies is to use Amchur powder (dry mango powder) to remove the colors. Looks like all the cleaners are sour.
- The specific problem with nails is that they are dead cells that get deposited rather than grow. So it stays longer than the live skin. The advantage, however, is that you can scale your nails in your manicure/pedicure sessions to remove the colored layer.
In the end, wish you a very happy holi. If you like the above remedies then don’t forget to share it with your friends.